This is a gorgeously comforting dish that’s absolutely perfect for chilly weather – it makes a fabulous brunch to pick you up at the start of the day, or could equally serve as a lovely indulgent supper too. Somerset Charcuterie’s wonderful Somerset Cider Chorizo adds a real flavour wallop to potatoes mashed with butter, black pepper and spring onions, and topped with a perfectly fried New MacDonald’s Farm egg. Serve with a big mug of tea or a glass of red wine, depending on the hour…
1 large potato
A splash of milk
Salt and black pepper
2 spring onions
About 30g Somerset Charcuterie Cider Chorizo
1. First, peel the potato and cut into bite-sized chunks. Boil in a pan of salted water until the potatoes are soft enough to fall apart when prodded.
2. Meanwhile, as the potatoes are cooking, dice the chorizo and fry briefly to crisp it up.
3. Once the potatoes are cooked, take half and mash with a generous amount of butter, a splash of milk and a good sprinkle of salt and black pepper.
4. Scrape in about half the crispy chorizo and all the lovely spicy oil, and then add the non-mashed potato, the chopped spring onions and a little chopped parsley, and give it all a good stir.
5. Pop the potato mixture back into the pan you fried the chorizo in, and sizzle on a medium heat to get the potato nicely crispy on the bottom.
6. Finally, heat a good splash of oil in a pan and fry the egg. Use it to top the potatoes and finish off with the rest of the crispy chorizo, a little more fresh parsley and some freshly-ground black pepper.
One Comment Add yours