This week’s recipe comes straight from Taste of Bath’s founder, Helen Rich. Helen says: “I love nothing more than using up all my left overs when possible, and this is a go-to party favourite for me!”
250g Bath Blue Cheese
100g Soft Cream Cheese (light)
100g Walnuts, finely chopped
50g Plain Flour
200g Panko Breadcrumbs
Vegetable Oil for frying
50ml Runny Honey
Makes a dozen
1. Mix together the cheeses and finely chopped walnuts, then leave in the fridge for 30 minutes until firm.
2. Roll into balls about the size of a ping pong ball.
3. Season the flour, spread out on a plate and roll the balls in the flour.
4. Beat the eggs together in a medium bowl, and put the panko breadcrumbs on a plate.
5. Roll the bonbons in egg and when coated, roll in panko breadcrumbs (repeat for great coverage).
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan (never leave unsupervised). To check the temperature, drop a breadcrumb into the oil, and when it’s hot the oil should sizzle around the breadcrumb.
7. Cook 3 bonbons at a time, until golden and brown.
8. Pop the cooked bonbons on a piece of kitchen roll to drain any excess oil.
9. Bring the oil back to temperature before repeating with the next 3 bonbons.
10. Microwave the honey for 30 seconds, and then serve the bonbons warm with the honey for dipping.